Chennai: Three family members died of suffocation and two others are in critical condition after a refrigerator exploded due to an electrical short circuit in Chennai’s suburban Urapakkam early on Friday morning.
The explosion happened at 4 am this morning in which three people, Girija (63), her sister Radha (55) and cousin Rajkumar (48), who were fast asleep, died due to suffocation, reports news agency UNI.
The thick smoke engulfed the apartment in which they were staying and the trio died of suffocation.
Ramkumar’s wife Bhargavi (35) and his daughter Aradhana (6) are under critical condition at Chromepet Government Hospital.
The report suggests that the family had arrived from Dubai two days back to pay homage to their relative who died last year due to poor health and were residing at the house where the accident occured.
Guduvancherry Police and Maraimalai Nagar Fire Services and Rescue personnel rushed to the spot and shifted the bodies to Chengalpattu Government Hospital.