The Indian cricket team is set to commence their ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 venture by playing against Australia at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai on October 8. This highly anticipated face-off will kick off at 2 PM.
The encounter between India and Australia promises to be closely contested. While Australia boasts a remarkable record as a five-time world champion, India has clinched the title twice. Australia’s lineup includes several formidable players who can pose a threat to Team India in this crucial match. Here are five such players to watch out for:
1. David Warner: The legendary Australian opener has a wealth of experience playing cricket in India. He has been in excellent form in ODI cricket for Australia, including a recent series where he notched up half-centuries in all three matches. Indian bowlers will face the challenge of containing Warner, who has scored 1174 runs in 25 ODI matches against India at an average of 51.04.
2. Steve Smith: The vice-captain of the Australian team, Steve Smith, is a significant threat to India. Smith has accumulated 1260 runs in 27 ODI matches against India, boasting an impressive average of 54.78. Once Smith settles at the crease, getting him out becomes a daunting task, making it essential to dismiss him early.
3. Mitchell Starc: India needs to be cautious when dealing with this left-arm fast bowler. Starc primarily targets the openers and star batsmen of Team India. In 17 ODI matches against India, Mitchell Starc has taken 26 wickets, including dismissing Rohit Sharma thrice and Shubhman Gill and Suryakumar Yadav two times each.
4. Pat Cummins (Captain): Australian team captain Pat Cummins is regarded as one of the best contemporary bowlers. Controlling Cummins is crucial for India. In 19 ODI matches against India, Cummins has taken 26 wickets. He can also add to Team India’s pressure as a lower-order batsman.
5. Adam Zampa: The right-arm leg-spinner specializes in troubling Indian batsmen. Zampa has taken 34 wickets in 21 ODI matches against India. He has dismissed Virat Kohli five times in ODI cricket and Rohit Sharma on four occasions. India will need to exercise caution against Zampa.
Historically, Chennai has hosted three ODI matches between India and Australia, with Australia winning two and India winning one. In their most recent meeting at this ground, Australia emerged victorious. Overall, India and Australia have faced off 12 times in World Cup matches, with India winning only four times. The statistics suggest that Australia holds the upper hand.
Other players in the Australian team are: Alex Carey, Josh Inglis, Sean Abbott, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marnus Labuschagne, Marcus Stoinis, and Travis Head.
This year’s Indian Team comprises – Rohit Sharma (captain), Ishan Kishan, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Mohammed Shami, Suryakumar Yadav, Shubman Gill, Shardul Thakur.