Saturday, 13 April, 2024
Trending TopicsIpl 2024Lok Sabha 2024

---Advertisement---

Florida Lottery: Mega Million Dollar Ticket, Worth $36 Million, Remains Unclaimed; Know Why  

The voided Mega Millions ticket represents the only unclaimed jackpot in 2023, as reported by the organization's website. This occurrence puts it in the company of other substantial unclaimed prizes, including a $26 million prize in California in 2021 and a forgotten Powerball ticket worth $77 million in Georgia back in 2011.

Edited By : Saurav Gupta | Updated: Feb 19, 2024 08:00 IST
Share :
Florida: Mega Million Dollar Ticket, Worth $36 Million, Remains Unclaimed; Know Why  
Florida: Mega Million Dollar Ticket, Worth $36 Million, Remains Unclaimed; Know Why  

Florida: The excitement surrounding a $36 million Mega Millions lottery ticket purchased in Jacksonville, Florida, has faded into disappointment as the ticket remains unclaimed, leading to its voidance.

Deadline Passes: $36 Million Forfeited

The Florida Lottery announced that the deadline to claim the $36 million prize was on Feb. 11, concluding the 180-day claim period. Regrettably, no one came forward to assert the substantial winnings.

Florida – Details of the Winning Ticket

Purchased at a Publix in Jacksonville on Aug. 15, the winning numbers were 18-39-42-57-63, with the Mega Ball number being 7 and a multiplier of 3x. Despite the promising combination, the winner failed to materialize, resulting in the forfeiture of the entire prize.

Fate of the Unclaimed Funds

Michelle Griner, a spokesperson for the Florida Lottery, confirmed that the winner has effectively relinquished the $36 million, rendering the ticket worthless. In response to the unclaimed prize, 80% of the funds will be redirected to a trust fund dedicated to education, with the remaining 20% being earmarked for the prize pool by the organization.

Read More: Ready To Experience Living On Mars! NASA Seeks Applicants; Check Who Can Apply

Florida – Sole Unclaimed Jackpot in 2023

The voided Mega Millions ticket represents the only unclaimed jackpot in 2023, as reported by the organization’s website. This occurrence puts it in the company of other substantial unclaimed prizes, including a $26 million prize in California in 2021 and a forgotten Powerball ticket worth $77 million in Georgia back in 2011.

Options for Mega Millions Winners

Mega Millions winners, when fortunate enough to claim their earnings, have the option to receive their prize as a lump-sum cash payment or as an annual payout. The cash option constitutes a one-time payment equal to the entire cash amount in the Mega Millions jackpot prize pool. Alternatively, winners can opt for 29 annual payments, with each subsequent payment being 5% larger than the previous one, providing a structured financial distribution over nearly three decades.

First published on: Feb 19, 2024 07:57 AM IST

Get Breaking News First and Latest Updates from India and around the world on News24. Follow News24 on Facebook, Twitter.

Related Story