Misti Doi Recipe: Bengal’s most valued possession, Mishti Doi, is a traditional sweet yoghurt type prepared from milk, curd culture, and jaggery or sugar. often baked or even set in earthenware, which gives the flavoured yoghurt a distinct and earthy flavour. It also gets a lovely brown tint from the use of the winter speciality, date palm jaggery, also known as nolen gur.
A food blogger with the user name ‘ohcheatday’ took to her Instagram handle and shared this easy-to-make recipe of Misti Doi. Check out here:
Mishti Doi Recipe: Ingredients
1) Milk – 1 ltr
2) Curd – 3/4 cup
3) Sugar – 1 cup
1. Put 3/4th cup curd in cotton or Muslin cloth and hang it for 15-20 minutes to make hung curd. Use this
2. Reduce the milk to less than 3/4th qty and thicken it. Refuting makes sure the curd is thick and rich.
3. Add 1 cup sugar in a pan and let it caramelise on low flame. Swirl the pan as soon as sugar starts to melt little, keep swirling and mix towards the end with a spatula, keep at lowest heat, once it gets ombré, add colour.
4. Add half of hot Boiled milk to caramelised sugar ( make sure the pan is deep as the milk will bubble) , next mix it stirring continuously… cook on low flame till caramel dissolves in the milk completely. It will take a few minutes.
5. Add remaining milk, mix well and Turn off the flame and let it cool down a bit to lukewarm. Whisk the hung curd in a bowl and add it to the lukewarm caramelised milk
6. Gently mix it and pour it in earthen pot or any glass or steel pot.
7. Cover it let it rest for 4-8hours in room temperature until it sets . Warm area helps it sets faster. Cold places might even take 6-8 hours to set
8. Check and Once it sets refrigerate overnight. Super delicious mishti doi is ready to serve.