Monday, April 6, 2020

Coronavirus Lockdown: Brazil president slams COVID-19 quarantines

Never one to shy from controversy, the far-right leader condemned the containment measures taken by authorities in places such as Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, saying they risked killing people's jobs in a misguided effort to save lives.

Brasilia: Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro lashed out Tuesday at what he called “scorched-earth” quarantine policies to contain the coronavirus pandemic, saying they risked wrecking the economy.

Never one to shy from controversy, the far-right leader condemned the containment measures taken by authorities in places such as Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, saying they risked killing people’s jobs in a misguided effort to save lives.

“We need to preserve jobs and families’ livelihoods.” Bolsonaro, 65, has repeatedly courted controversy with his statements on the new coronavirus, calling it a “little flu” that has provoked an “overblown” reaction.

His latest comments came the same day the city and state of Sao Paulo, Brazil’s economic capital, began a partial quarantine in a bid to slow transmission of the virus.

The state, home to 46 million people — roughly the size of Spain — has emerged as the epicenter of the outbreak in Brazil.

Rio de Janeiro, the country’s second city and the second-most affected by new coronavirus, has also taken drastic containment measures, including shutting schools, restaurants and its beaches and tourist attractions.

Bolsonaro, whose in-your-face style has earned him the nickname of “Tropical Trump,” insisted there was no need for extreme measures.

“The at-risk group (for the virus) is people over 60. So why close the schools?” he said.

He also repeated his accusation that the media have created unjustified “hysteria” around the pandemic, and said Brazil’s relatively young population and warm climate would help protect it from the impact.

Brazil is Latin America’s biggest economy and the country hardest hit by the pandemic so far in the region, with 2,201 confirmed cases of COVID-19 illness and 46 deaths.

“This will be over soon. We have to get on with our lives…. We have to get back to normal,” he said.

The statements drew immediate criticism and a made-for-quarantine protest, as opponents in various cities banged pots and pans from their windows during the speech to show their dissent.

SourcePTI

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

COVID-19: Campaign on spreading awareness via Bollywood dialogues

New Delhi. In the light of COVID-19 outbreak causing a global health crisis, many have stepped up to creatively spread awareness on social distancing. In...

Coronavirus crisis: Big opportunity for online tutors… Apply now

New Delhi: Days after raising $3 million as part of its Series-B funding round, ed-tech startup Lido Learning plans to hire around 500 online tutors...

Coronavirus crisis: List of entrance exams postponed due to COVID-19

New Delhi: The Ministry of Human Resource Development has decided to postpone entrance exams including JNU, UGC, NET and IGNOU PhD and several others keeping...

Haryana: 10th science exam cancelled, class 1 to 8 students to be promoted without exam

New Delhi: Haryana government has decided to promote all students from class 1 to class 10 without any examination. Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar said...