Trending TopicsPM ModiBollywoodCricket

---Advertisement---

Kerala Tragedy: 5-Year-Old Girl Succumbs to Brain-Eating Amoeba Infection After Bathing In Pond

In Malappuram, Kerala, a five-year-old girl tragically passed away after being diagnosed with amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare brain infection caused by a free-living amoeba found in polluted water. The child, from Moonniyur panchayat, succumbed to the illness at the Institute of Maternal and Child Health, Kozhikode Medical College, after a week-long battle on a ventilator.

Edited By : News24 Desk | Updated: May 21, 2024 17:41 IST
Share :
Kerala girl dies off amoeba infection
Kerala girl dies off amoeba infection

Kerala: A five-year-old girl in Malappuram district, has been diagnosed with amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare brain infection caused by a free-living amoeba found in polluted water, official sources said on Tuesday.

They said the child from Moonniyur panchayat died on Monday evening at the Institute of Maternal and Child Health, Kozhikode Medical College, where she was undergoing treatment for over a week.

The news of the child’s demise has sent shockwaves throughout the local community in Kerala, prompting an outpouring of grief and condolences for the bereaved family. The incident serves as a stark reminder of the unpredictability of life and the devastating impact of rare illnesses on young lives

Also Read: Zomato CEO, started Zomato 16 years ago in 2008. 

According to medical experts, the infection occurs when free-living non-parasitic amoebic bacteria enter the body from contaminated water through the nose.

Sources said the girl had bathed in a nearby pond on May 1 and 10 and showed symptoms of fever, headache and vomiting after it.

The child was on a ventilator and was not responding to medication.

Other children who were also bathing in the same pond as the girl were also under observation of doctors. However, they were released after they were found to be free of the infection, the sources added.

Also Read: Man Undergoes Surgery To Add Four Extra Nipples To His Body 

The disease was previously reported in the state’s coastal Alappuzha region in 2023 and 2017.

The main symptoms of the disease are fever, headache, vomiting, and seizures.

The untimely demise of the 5-year-old child serves as a somber reminder of the need for vigilance and preventive measures to safeguard public health. As the community mourns the loss of a young life, efforts are underway to ensure that such tragic incidents are prevented to the best of our ability.

First published on: May 21, 2024 05:41 PM IST

Get Breaking News First and Latest Updates from India and around the world on News24. Follow News24 on Facebook, Twitter.

Related Story