New Delhi: The 2022 edition of the Laver Cup holds a lot significance in this calendar year as Roger Federer is set to play his final tournament. The event will begin from Friday onwards in London at the O2 Arena.
Federer announced his intention to retire from tennis at the end of the Laver Cup, following his continued struggle with a knee injury. This will be the fifth edition of the Laver Cup where Team Europe will be aiming for a fifth consecutive title.
Roger Federer career’s final match
Roger Federer will play his career’s last match on Friday in a doubles encounter. The 41-year-old Swiss partners great rival Rafael Nadal. Federer had said in an interview on Tuesday that it would be “an absolute dream” to play alongside Nadal in his final match. Federer will later be replaced by Matteo Berrettini for the singles matches.
The Teams in Laver Cup
Laver Cup 2022, like all editions, will comprise just two teams – Team Europe and Team World. Each team comprises six players and will be led by a captain. Team Europe is led by Bjorn Borg while the captain of Team World is John McEnroe. The players are picked based on their ATP singles ranking as of the Monday following the French Open. Three are ‘captain’s picks’ which were announced at the start of the 2022 US Open.
The players who will be part of the Laver Cup 2022 are:
Team Europe – Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Stefanos Tsitsipas, and Casper Ruud; Alternative – Matteo Berrettini.
Team World: Taylor Fritz, Felix Auger-Aliassime, Diego Schwartzman, Frances Tiafoe, Alex de Minaur, and Jack Sock; Alternative – Tommy Paul.
Format for Laver Cup 2022
1. The event comprises five sessions played across three days – September 23 (Friday) to 25 (Sunday).
2. Both singles and doubles will be a best-of-three match. In case of a tie, the third set will be a 10-point match tie-breaker.
3. Every player has to compete in at least one singles match in the first two days and no player can compete in more than two singles matches in the competition. At least four of the six players have to play doubles and no doubles combination can complete in more than one match unless for the Decider on Day 3 if points are 12-all.
4. Laver Cup scoring method –
a) Matches on Friday are worth one point, two points on Saturday, and three points on Sunday.
b) Team reaching 13 points first wins the Laver Cup. In the case of a 12-12 tie at the end of 24 matches, a fifth match (Decider) on Sunday is played to determine the winner. The decider will be a doubles match.
5. If only one match is required on Sunday, an exhibition match will be played following the trophy ceremony.
Schedule for Laver Cup 2022
September 23 –
Match 1 – Singles: Casper Ruud vs Jack Sock at 5:30 PM IST
Match 2 – Singles: Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Diego Schwartzman at 6:50 PM IST
Match 3 – Singles: Andy Murray vs Alex de Minau at 11:30 PM IST
Match 4 – Doubles: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal vs Frances Tiafoe, Jack Sock at 12:50 PM IST
September 24 –
Match 5 & 6- Singles, at 5 PM IST
Match 7 – Singles at 11 PM IST
Match 8 – Doubles at 11 PM IST
September 25 at 4 PM IST
Match 9 – Doubles
Match 10 – Singles
Match 11 – Singles
Match 12 – Singles
The line-ups are yet to be decided. It will be announced a day before the matches.