New Delhi, July 20: There were many interesting aspects to former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's life and each has interesting details. Don't miss interesting facts about her illustrious life.
She fell in love in college. There was an interesting twist in her love story when her future husband Vinod Dikshit proposed to her inside a DTC bus.
Here are some interesting facts about her which many people do not know.
1) Dikshit has a post graduate in history from Miranda House, Delhi University. She is also a Doctorate in Philosophy from the Delhi University.
2) Dikshit was nominated as a representative for the Indian delegation of the United Nations Commission by former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi who acknowledged her administrative skills.
3) Dikshit represented India at the United Nations from 1984-1989.
4) Dikshit was appointed as a minister in the central government led by then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1984.
5) She also served as a Union Minister during for a period of four years from 1986 to 1989. Initialy serving as the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, Dikshit later became a Minister of State in the Prime Minister's Office.
6) Dikshit was imprisoned for 23 days along with 82 colleagues by the state government in 1990, when she led a drive against violence against women.
7) She also set up two hostels for working women in Delhi while serving as chairperson of the Young Women's Association.
8) She has received several awards. These include 'Best Chief Minister of India', by Journalist Association of India in 2008, 'Politician of the Year' by NDTV in 2009, and 'Delhi Women of the Decade Achievers Award 2013' by the ALL Ladies League for Outstanding Public Service in 2013.
Photo: Google Image