New Delhi, Dec 7: Scoring a double century in Test cricket is not an easy thing. Indian skipper Virat featured in headlines few days back when scored 200 runs leaving legend Brian Lara behind him for the most double-centuries by a captain in Test matches. Kohli has emerged at the sixth spot on the all-time list of most double hundreds by a cricketer.
The list of players who have scored maximum double hundreds in Tests cricket has some big names and there is no space even for legends like Sachin Tendulkar, Sunil Gavaskar, Ricky Ponting, Vivian Richards, Rahul Dravid, Alastair Cook and many more.
So here we take a look at the list:
5) Mahela Jayawardene: is one of the most consistent players for Sri Lanka. Jayawardene had a big hunger for hitting big hundreds. He has two scores of 275+ and was one of the most technically gifted batsmen to have played the game.
Jayawardene played 149 Tests for Sri Lanka, scoring 11814 runs with 34 hundreds and 50 fifties. He often converted starts into big scores, compiling seven double hundreds in his illustrious career, with the highest score of 374 coming against South Africa at Colombo.
4) Wally Hammond: This cricketer from the Bradman era emerged as one of the greatest Test batsmen of all time. He ranks only second to Bradman in terms of success as a batsman during the 1920s and 30s and averaged 58.45 in Test cricket.
Wally had a huge appetite for big scores. One of the highlights of his career was when he finished as the highest run-getter with 440 runs in the Bodyline series in 1932-33, which England won 4-1. In his 85 Tests, Hammond compiled seven double hundreds, fourth most in the history of Test cricket.
3) Brian Lara: Brian Lara always had the hunger for scoring huge scores. He emerged as the only player in the history of Test cricket to have scored 400 runs in an innings. Lara holds several cricketing records including being the only player to have ever scored a hundred, a double hundred, a triple hundred, a quadruple hundred and a quintuple hundred in first-class history.
With nine double hundreds, Lara is third in the list of most double hundreds in Test cricket. He scored his first double in Sydney against Australia and his last came against Pakistan in Multan, 2006.
2) Kumar Sangakkara: The second Sri Lankan player to feature on this list, Kumar Sangakkara was one of the most technically gifted batsmen in the history of the game.
In 134 Tests, Sangakkara scored 12400 runs with 38 hundreds and 52 fifties. He converted 11 of those into double hundreds, making him the only cricketer after Sir Don Bradman to have scored more than 10 double hundreds in Tests.
1) Sir Donald Bradman: Sir Donald George Bradman is the cricketer with the maximum international double centuries in Tests. Bradman slammed eight double hundreds against England, two against South Africa and one each against India & West Indies, making it a total of 12.
Bradman scored 29 centuries in just 80 innings, giving him the highest ratio of centuries scored per innings played (36.25%). During a 20-year playing career, Bradman represented Australia in 52 Tests, scoring 6996 runs at a mind-boggling average of 99.94.
He had an excellent conversion rate, converting 29 of his 42 fifties into hundreds, 12 of them into double hundreds and two of them into triple hundreds. Truly a cricketing legend.