Relief for Parents: SC will look into safety in schools

New Delhi, Sep 11: There may be some respite for the parents at last who were a worried lot after the barbarous act in the Gurugram branch of the famous Public School, Ryan international where a 7-year-old kid was brutally murdered in the washroom. A batch of lawyers had brought to the notice of the Supreme Court that the famous public schools, fleecing money and filling their pockets were doing the least for the safety and security measures of the vulnerable kids.

The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to the Centre, CBI and Haryana government on a plea by the father of a seven-year old student of Ryan International School in Gurugram who was found murdered in the washroom last week. Slain Pradhuman's father Varun Chandra Thakur had moved the apex court seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the death of his son on September 8.  A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice D.Y. Chandrachud also issued notice to the Union Human Resource Development Ministry and the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Thakur's plea seeking framing of guidelines for the safety of the students in the schools. Thakur also sought the setting up of a Committee to inquire into the lapse leading to the death of the child. He wanted to ensure that schools were made accountable in cases related to safety of children.  A bus conductor has been arrested and has confessed to the crime, police said. The school's principal has been suspended while two other staffers have been arrested for negligence leading to the crime, police said. The school is located in Bhondsi on Sohna Road, Gurugram. News24Bureau with Agencies