Poisonous 'Prasad’ kills 11, 80 others hospitalised... Many critical
At least eight persons, including a girl and a woman, died of suspected food poisoning in Sulvadi village in Karnataka's Chamarajanagar district, police said on Friday.
Bengaluru, Dec 14: At least 11 persons, including a girl and a woman, died of suspected food poisoning in Sulvadi village in Karnataka's Chamarajanagar district, police said on Friday.
The victims, including four men in mid 30s, died of suspected food poisoning after they consumed tomato rice offered as 'prasad' at a Hindu temple in the village, Chamarajanagar Superintendent of Police D.S. Meena told IANS from Hanur, 180 km from here.
"Two others died while being treated at K.R. Hospital in Mysuru, where they were shifted to after falling ill due to consumption of 'prasad' from the same temple," state's Minor Irrigation Minister C.S. Puttaraju told reporters in Mysuru.
Around 65 others, all devotees of Goddess Maramma, were admitted to three state-run hospitals at Hanur, Kollagal and Mysuru for treatment as they took ill after consuming the same food in the temple.
"Six victims were declared dead by the doctors at the Hanur hospital after they did not respond to the treatment while others are being treated for food poisoning in the three hospitals," said Meena.
A case has been registered against a private trust managing the temple, belonging to the Lingayat community.
Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy, who rushed to state-run K.R. Hospital in Mysuru, announced Rs 5 lakh compensation to the kin of the deceased.
"The state government will bear the costs of those undergoing treatment in the hospitals," a statement from the Chief Minister's Office said.
Maramma is considered an incarnation of Hindu Goddess Durga, who is worshipped for blessings on Fridays before doing anything auspicious.
Police are also verifying complaints about 50 crows also dying in the temple's vicinity after they too consumed the same food.
Image Courtesy: Google Image