New Delhi, Feb 15: Under attack from the Congress over a ₹11,400 crore scam allegedly involving designer Nirav Modi, the BJP on Thursday said no one involved in the PNB fraud case would be spared and the investigation was proceeding at a rapid pace.
Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad also clarified that Mr. Nirav Modi was not part of the delegation to Davos led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and had reached there on his own.
Addressing a press conference at the party office, he rejected the Congress’ allegation that the Prime Minister had a private meeting with Mr. Nirav Modi.
The senior BJP leader said the tax payer’s money would not be allowed to go waste. “I wish to make it very clear on the behalf of the government that no one who has sought to derail ordinary banking system shall be spared, regardless of any individual’s stature and status,” Mr. Prasad said.
State-owned Punjab National Bank on February 14 said that it had detected a scam worth about ₹11,400 crore — where Mr. Nirav Modi allegedly acquired fraudulent Letters of Undertaking (LoUs) from a branch in Mumbai to secure overseas credit from other Indian lenders.
Prasad said that Nirav Modi's passport has been revoked and a Look Out Circular (LOC) issued against him. Nirav's assets worth ₹1,300 crore have also been seized, he added.
Accusing the government of doing nothing doing nothing to stop “independent India’s biggest bank fraud” despite being informed of it, the Congress on Thursday released a picture of Mr. Nirav Modi with the business delegation accompanying the Prime Minister to Davos at the World Economic Forum meet last month.
The party also released a copy of a complaint by a Bangalore resident Hari Prasad, seeking early action against Mr. Nirav Modi and his business partner Mehul Choksi, that it said was acknowledged by the Prime Minister’s Office on July 26, 2016.