Prime Minister Narendra Modi is addressing the Parliament today even as the Opposition wants a debate over various issues, including the farm crisis, unemployment and alleged misuse of constitutional bodies.
With the Opposition creating an uproar in Parliament repeatedly, chances of passage of key bills in the remaining period of the ongoing budget session, the last before the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, look slim.
Highlights of PM Modi's speech in Lok Sabha
* I assure you, those who have looted the nation will continue to be scared of Narendra Modi.
* Arrogance got them (Congress) down to 44 from 400. Commitment to the nation and our hard work got us from 2 to 282.
* We will always fulfill the aspirations of the people of India.
* India will be friends with both Israel and Palestine. India will be friends with both Saudi Arabia and Iran. Our foreign policy has led to India's voice becoming stronger at the world stage.
* During the NDA government, there was 100% rural electrification and 10 crore toilets were built in four-and-a-half years. 99 agricultural schemes which were stuck, are being completed by us now.
* Our government has worked towards good health and well-being of the people of India. Prices of stents, knee surgeries and medicines are coming down. This is helping the poorest of the poor in the country.
* Inflation and Congress have a strong bond. When Congress comes in power, so prices increase. The NDA government has worked to keep prices under check.
* Mahatma Gandhi had back then recommended the dissolution of Congress party. So 'Congress mukt Bharat' is not my slogan but I am just fulfilling the wish of Gandhi ji. "Shradhanjanli ke roop mein ye karna hi karna hai, kitni bhi milawat karlo bach nahi sakte," PM Modi said.
* Thousands of organisations were getting funds from overseas. We sought transparency in the process but these organisations shut down. Why was such money allowed to come in without accountability all these years?
* Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar was always ahead of his time. He had said that joining the Congress is like committing suicide.
* In our neighbourhood, everyone is building war capabilities, why didn't we do it in all these years? This is criminal negligence. Congress doesn't want a strong Indian Air Force.
* I want to say it on the floor of Parliament that the Indian National Congress does not want our Armed forces to be strong. They do not want our security apparatus to be strong. Which companies are they bidding for that they are acting so shamefully.
* The phone banking of the UPA did wonders for the friends of their leaders. Due to such favouritism, our banking system witnessed many problems.
* Few of our Congress friends have outsourced their work. They allowed looters to loot. Fugitives are now crying that they left with Rs 9,000 crore but Modi is taking Rs 13,000 crore. Fugitives are now scared and are in hiding.
* During the 2010 Commonwealth Games, our players were playing hard to win medals for India. But, for Congress, Commonwealth Games were an opportunity to boost personal wealth of a few in the party.
* We speak truth, be it in the country or outside, in Parliament or outside but your ability to listen to truth has diminished.
* The opposition has formed Mahagathbandhan against the BJP, but the 'Mahagathbandhan is mahamilavat'. People have seen the work that a government with an absolute majority can do. They have seen our work. They do not want a 'Mahamilavat' government of those who recently gathered in Kolkata.
* In their 55 years of rule, sanitation coverage was around 38% and in our 55 months it is nearly 98%. Gas connections in their 55 years were 12 crore, it is 13 crore in 55 months. We have worked at greater speed in our five years.
* In the last four-and-a-half years, India became 6th largest economy from 11th position. When we reached 11th position then people, who cannot even be seen in opposition now, praised themselves. They felt proud on reaching 11th, but why are they saddened when we have reached the 6th position?
* The opposition has accused me of destroying institutions. Let me remind them of some facts. In 1959, the Congress at the Centre dismissed the Communist government in Kerala, and now 60 years on, hope my friends from Kerala remember that. So, what sanctity and respect of institutions are they talking about?
* Congress imposed Emergency, but Modi is destroying institutions. Congress insults Army, calls the Army Chief a Gunda but Modi is destroying institutions. Congress leaders create stories that Indian Army is doing a coup… but Modi is destroying institutions. Congress questions the EC and EVMs but Modi is destroying institutions. Congress bullies the judiciary but Modi is destroying institutions. Congress calls Planning Commission a bunch of jokers… but Modi is destroying institutions.
* In hating Modi, the opposition has begun to hate the nation. That is why their leaders go to London and do press conferences to show India in bad light.
* Our friends in the Congress see things in two time periods. BC for them means 'Before Congress' when nothing happened and AD means 'After dynasty' where everything happened.
* India has seen remarkable progress in the last four years. In all the spheres like investment, steel sector, start ups, milk and agriculture, and aviation, India's progress is outstanding.
* I congratulate all those who will be voting for the first time in the 2019 Parliamentary polls. Those born in the 21st century are now going to be voters and thus, they will play a role in shaping India's progress. Youth will vote for an honest government. We will outlive all the challenges.
* It is trust and optimism that will take our nation forward. We are not those who run away from challenges. We face the challenges and work to fulfil people's aspirations.