News24LAST UPDATED: Nov. 21, 2020, 4:42 p.m.
NEW DELHI (DIVYASAINI): Meeting deadlines, targets and personal life can often take affect on your physical and mental health. Excessive work stress can therefore lead to burnout. Here are some symptoms of stress and ways to prevent it.
Signs of work-related burnout
Burnout often involves the same symptoms as stress, which is the reason why people often fail to recognize it in time.
Excessive feelings of tiredness or exhaustion
Lack of enthusiasm and increased negativity towards the job
Decreased ability to do your job
Change in sleep patterns
Isolating from colleagues
Decreased sense of satisfaction
Using food, drugs and alcohol to cope
Tips to prevent work stress
1. Know your breaking point: You need to know your own limits before you can ask others to stick to and respect them. Assess yourself to understand how much time you can give to your work without feeling stressed and how much time you need to refresh.
2. Relaxation strategies: To practice this, sit comfortably with your eyes closed. Working from your legs upward, systematically tense and relax each major muscle groups. Hold the tension for 10 seconds; release tension for 20 seconds. Each time you release muscle tension, think “relax” to yourself. This skill and many other relaxation strategies can help reduce symptoms of anxiety.
3. Reject negative thoughts: A person might jump to negative conclusions with little or no evidence and may doubt their ability to cope with stressors. To reappraise negative thoughts, treat them as hypotheses instead of facts and consider other possibilities. Regularly practicing this skill can help people reduce negative emotions in response to stressors.
4. Problem-solving: Problem-solving is an active strategy that involves teaching people to take specific steps when approaching a challenge. These steps include defining the problem, brainstorming potential solutions, ranking the solutions, developing an action plan.
5. Get sleep and nutrition: Sleep and food are often the first few things people compromise on when work-related stress increases. Ensure that you don’t compromise with both. Follow a balanced and nutritious diet and get eight to nine hours of sleep every day to stay stress free.
Image credits: Google