New Delhi, News24 Bureau, Dec 8: Alok Verma may have been reinstated as the CBI director and this comes a big morale booster for the officer, but all his problems are not over yet. A select committee comprising of the PM Narendra Modi, the CJI and the Leader of Opposition will decide on what action, if at all any, must be taken against Alok Verma. Here are the 10 major points of this historic case when for the first time in India the mudslinging and fight between the two top officials of the premier investigating agency came out in open:
1. This decision of reinstating Alok Verma as the CBI chief has been taken by the Supreme Court today. The Supreme Court on Tuesday restored the powers of the CBI Director Alok Verma as it set aside the Centre's decision to divest him of his powers to function as the head of the investigating agency.
2. Alok Verma was sent on leave by the government after a feud between him and his deputy, CBI special director Rakesh Asthana, became public. Both CBI top bosses were pointing an accusing finger against each other.3. While restoring Verma's powers, a bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice K.M. Joseph said that the matter will go to the selection committee which will look into the issue.
4. Pronouncing the judgement on behalf of Chief Justice Gogoi, Justice Kaul said that the selection committee will meet within seven days from Tuesday and till then Verma will not take any important policy decisions.5. The Supreme Court pronounced the judgement on a plea by the Central Bureau of Investigation Director and NGO Common Cause challenging the government's decision on the intervening night of October 23-24 to divest Verma of his charge as head of the investigating agency.
6. Mallikarjun Kharge, Congress on SC's verdict on Alok Verma plea: We're not against one individual, welcome SC's judgement, it's a lesson for govt. Today you'll use these agencies to pressurise people, tomorrow somebody else will, What will happen to democracy then?
7. Delhi CM Tweeted: SC reinstating CBI director Alok Verma is a direct indictment of the PM. Modi govt has ruined all institutions and democracy in our country. Wasn't CBI director illegally removed at midnight to stall the probe in Rafale scam which directly leads to PM himself?
8. Arun Jaitley says govt's decision on removing Verma was taken on CVC's recommendation9. We welcome the Supreme Court's verdict lambasting the govt. against their illegal removal of Alok Verma as CBI Director.The SC has reinstated Alok Verma as director: Congress
10. "Reinstatement a partial victory for Alok Verma," Prashant Bhushan, SC lawyer