New Delhi: In the letter, the parties suggested eight measures that the Centre should consider to bring normalcy back. The points that the opposition parties highlighted include free vaccination, repealing farm laws and a stop on the work on Central Vista project.
"We have repeatedly in the past drawn your attention, independently and jointly, to the various measures that are absolutely imperative for the Central government to undertake and implement. Unfortunately, your government has either ignored or refused all these suggestions. This only compounded the situation to reach such an apocalyptic human tragedy," the letter read.
Here's the key points that the opposition suggested to bring in effect.
* Central procurement of vaccines from all available sources - global and domestic.
* Immediate free, universal mass vaccination campaign
* Compulsory licensing to expand domestic vaccine production
* Spending the ₹ 35,000 crore budgetary allocation for vaccines
* Stopping the Central Vista construction and using the money for oxygen and vaccines
* Releasing all money held in the "unaccounted private trust fund", PMCares to buy vaccines, oxygen and medical equipment
* ₹ 6000 per month for the unemployed
* Free distribution of foodgrain to the needy
* Repeal of farm laws to protect farmers falling victim to Covid
Among the twelve parties, everyone signed the letter except Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party and Mayavati's Bahujan Samajwadi party.