New Delhi, Nov 3: India on Thursday expresed "deep disappointment" with China's decision to block consensus on the listing of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar on the UN-designated list of international terrorists.
"We are deeply disappointed that once again, a single country has blocked international consensus on the designation of an acknowledged terrorist and leader of UN-designated terrorist organization, Masood Azhar," External Affairs ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said.
"India strongly believes that double standards and selective approaches will only undermine the international community's resolve to combat terrorism," he said.
"We can only hope that there will be a realisation that accommodating with terrorism for narrow objectives is both short sighted and counter productive."
A Chinese Foreign Ministry official told IANS in Beijing on Thursday that due to the lack of consensus at the UN Security Council committee, the application seeking a ban on Azhar has been rejected.
This is the second time Beijing has vetoed the proposal which was first moved by India at the Al Qaida Sanctions Committee of the United Nations Security Council in March last year.
It did the same to a US proposal backed by France and Britain, first blocking it in January and then put a technical hold for three months in August. A new resolution will have to be moved now.