New Delhi, Oct 10, News24 Bureau: The angry young man is turning 76 tomorrow. Amitabh Bachchan got his angry young man image in the 1970s with movies like Deewar and Zanjeer. Silsala and Sholay added to his tall stature in the Bollywood. He is a Padma Shri, a Padma Bhushan, a Padma Vibhushan, and three-time National Award winner for Agneepath, Paa and Piku.
His most famous dialogues include – Jao pehle uska sign lekar aao(Deewar), pura naam VijayDinanath Chauhan(Agneepath) and Don ko pakdna mushkil hi nahi namumkin hai(Don).
1. Amitabh-Rekha affair- On of the most famous love stories of Bollywood, but Amitabh never admitted his liking for Rekha in public.
2. Rekha openly admits her liking for Big B.
3. The affair was hush-hush. But Bollywood actor used to botherRekha, Big B intervened, and then it was publicised.
4. It is said the two often met atRekha’s friend’s bungalow.
5. There was a rumour of Rekha-Amitabh marriage when Rekha was seen with sindoor and mangalsutra at Rishi Kapoor-Neetu Singh marriage.
6. Famous Rekha-Amitabh flicks are Muqaddar ka Sikander andSilsila.Silsila.
7. Silsila was the last movie ofSilsila was the last movie of Amitabh with Rekha.
8. Amitabh and Rekha are never seen talking at Award functions, though Jaya and Rekha do.
9. Allegations were made against Amitabh for conspiring in 1984 riots.
10. Allegations were made against him in the Bofors scam.
11. Amitabh Bachchan entered politics because of friend Rajiv Gandhi.
12. Later differences cropped up and his relationship with Rajivsoured.
13. His original surname was Srivastava.
14. Bachchan surname was adopted by his father.
15. His first ever salary was Rs. 500.
16. He delivered 20 flops before the success of Zanjeer.
17. Salim Khan (Salman’s father), Javed Akhtar were his favourite story writers.
18. He does not like the word Bollywood.
19. He is a pure vegetarian.
20. He loves London and Switzerland.
21. Waheeda Rehman is his favourite actress.
22. Was named Actor of the Millenium in a BBC News Poll.
23. Suffers from asthma.
24. Supremo, which is an Indian comic character, is based on him.
25.Received the ‘Actor of the Century’ award in 2001.
26. Buzz is that he suffers from myasthenia gravis which is a rare muscular disorder.
27. He is extremely fond of suits by Gabbana.
28. Another favourite is Fratelli Rossetti.
29. He owns 11 cars, Lexus being his favourite.
30. The cost of each tyre of his cars is Rs. 2.5 lakhs.
31. His bungalow Jalsa was gifted to him.
32. For Shootout at Lokhandwala (2006), he shot of 23 scenes in just five hours!
33. Bungalows Pratiksha and Jalsa put together are estimated at over 175 crores.
34. He was rejected by filmmakers for his dark skin.
35. At one point in time, he became bankrupt in the 1990s.
36. Amitabh Bachchan has a double Master of Arts degree.
37. Amitabh was one of the judges for the 1995 Miss World beauty pageant.
38. He dislikes the word Beti B, which is used for granddaughter Aradhya.
39. Big B made his debut in Bollywood with Saat Hindustani.
40. The superstar was paid Rs. 1000 for his first ever Bollywood venture.
41. His first Bollywood venture, Saat Hindustani is his only black-and-white film.
42. Out of his several nicknames, Big B, AB Sr. and Angry Young Man are the most popular.
43. His height is 74 inches (1.88 m), which makes him the tallest-ever top star in Bollywood.
44. Before making his Bollywood debut, Amitabh worked for a shipping firm in Calcutta.
45. Remember Sayali Bhagat, the actress who starred opposite Emraan Hashmi in The Train? She accused Amitabh of sexual harassment.
46. Amitabh Bachchan loves collecting pens.
47. Collecting watches also interests him. He never wears the same watch twice!
48. It may be hard to believe the fact that the talented actor was out of work at the turn of the millennium. He called Yash Chopra for a project and that was when blockbuster hit Mohobattein happened.
49. Amitabh is ambidextrous. i.e he is able to use the right and left hands at equal ease.
50. Bachchan struggled through many roles until KBC happened in 2000.
51. It was estimated that Amitabh Bachchan's salary is as much as eight crore per episode. Amitabh Bachchan's salary is as much as eight crore per episode.
52. According to ad pundits, he got paid 10 crores for 10 days to feature in an ad; which means he charged Rs. 7000 per minute!
53. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2001.
54. It was Kalyanji-Anandji who helped him in his struggling days.
55. When he was trying his luck in Bollywood, Amitabh Bachchan had spent a few nights on a bench at Marine Drive.
56. He wanted to become an engineer and was keen on joining the Air Force.
57. The Angry Young Man’s popular recording Khoon Ka Badla Khoon Se Lengey went viral in those days.
58. He tried his luck at all India Radio where he got rejected by radio ace, Ameen Sayani.
59. The actor has played the character of Vijay in over 20 movies, which is his favourite character name.
60. Amitabh met the love of his life Jaya for the first time at the Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.
62. In Mahaan, he played a triple role!
63. The actor has played more double roles than any other actor on the big screen.
64. Amitabh’s Khuda Gawah was the most watched film in Afghanistan.
65. In 2012, Amitabh Bachchan was given the honour to carry the Olympic torch during the last leg of its relay in London’s Southpark.
66. In 2011, the Bollywood star was accused of making derogatory remarks “with malicious intention” on the Holy Quran.
67. The lyrics of Rang Barse from Silsila have been penned down by his late father Silsila have been penned down by his late father Shri Harivansh Rai Bachchan.
68. The elderly Bachchan doesn’t know cooking. He tried to make omelette when he was living in New York but it was disastrous.
69. Amitabh was Salim-Javed’s first choice for Mr. India.
70. Jackie shroff’s King Uncle was written keeping in mind Big B.
71. Amitabh was started being called Big B in late ‘90s, soon after his film Mrityudaata.
72. He is the only actor to have been nominated as the best actor for the maximum number of times.
74. His dialogue, “Pura naam, Vijay Dinanath Chauhan, baap kanaam, Dinanath Chauhan, maa kanaam, Suhasini Chauhan, gaon Mandwa, umar chhattis saal” from Agneepath and “Don ko pakadna mushkil he nahi namumkin hai” from Don became very popular.
75. He has been acclaimed to be ‘bigger than any Hollywood star’ by popular actor Bruce Willis.
76. In 1999 in an Online Poll of BBC, Big B was named the Superstar of the Millennium ahead of the famous superstars like Alec Guinness and Marlon Brando.