Grenade attack injures 7 in Kashmir

Pulwama Grenade Attack

Srinagar, June 18: At least seven civilians were injured in a grenade attack by terrorists on a police station in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district on Tuesday, officials said.

The terrorists lobbed the grenade towards the police station, but it exploded on the roadside, causing injuries to seven people, the officials said.

The security forces have cordoned off the area to look for the attackers and the injured were rushed to a nearby hospital, the officials added.

Meanwhile, a Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) terrorist whose car was used in the February 14 Pulwama terror attack, was killed in a gunfight on Tuesday in Jammu and Kashmir's Anantnag district, police said.

Sajad Ahmad Bhat was among the two terrorists who were killed in the gunfight on Tuesday morning in the district's Waghama area.

"Sajad Ahmad Bhat alias Afzal Guru had joined militancy days before the Pulwama terror attack. He belonged to Marhama village in Anantnag," police sources said. The February attack martyred 40 CRPF troopers.

Acting on a credible input about the presence of terrorists in the area of the south Kashmir district, security forces launched a cordon and search operation this morning.

The search turned into an encounter after the terrorists opened fire on the security forces, who retaliated.

A jawan was injured in the gunbattle, the official said, adding he succumbed at a hospital. The exchange of fire was going on when last reports came in.

On Monday, an Army major was killed and another officer and two troopers were injured in an encounter with terrorists in the district's Achabal area. A terrorist was also neutralised.

The same day, terrorists also targeted an Army patrol unit with a vehicle fitted with an improvised explosive device in Pulwama district.

Nine jawans and two civilians were injured. They are recuperating at a hospital.

The site of the blast was 27 km from the area where a convoy of vehicles carrying CRPF personnel was attacked by a suicide bomber in February in which 40 jawans were killed.

Last week, a lone Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist attacked a patrol team of the paramilitary force in Anantnag, killing five CRPF personnel.

A Jammu and Kashmir police officer, who had reached the site of the attack shortly after the attack, was sprayed with bullets the moment he had stepped out of his bullet-proof vehicle.

He was flown to Delhi AIIMS, but died on Sunday.


Photo: Google Image