New Delhi (Anish Yande): The Union Budget 2021-22 was announced recently with an emphasis on health and transportation. The Budget has been announced as the economy undergoes the effects of a once in a lifetime health crisis. Accordingly, under the Budget presented by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, Rs 2 lakh crore has been accorded to healthcare.
Top 5 things to know about the Budget 2021:
1. The PM Atmanirbhar Swasth Bharat Yojana has been introduced to improve the current healthcare system and developing research institutes that would detect emerging diseases. The budget outlay for healthcare is Rs 2,23,846 crore in Budget, which is a 137 percent increase over the previous allocation. The Centre would be allocating over Rs 64,000 crore over six years.
2. The government has reserved Rs 35,000 crores for vaccination drives against the Covid-19 pandemic across the country in 2021-22.
3. Indian Railways received Rs 1,10,055 crores under the Budget. Under the Budget, Railways would be establishing a network of automatic trains on routes with a high density of passengers. Railways routes are expected to have electrification support by 2023. The Centre is also aiming to complete 11,000 km of national highway infrastructure in 2020.
4. The Centre is focusing on developing renewable energy fuel sources across India. For boosting the Green Energy initiative, the Finance Minister has allocated an additional capital infusion of Rs 1,000 crore to the Solar Energy Corporation of India, which would be utilizing the funds to develop solar energy resources in India. The Centre has also allocated Rs 1,500 crore to Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency.
5. The Budget also underlined the aims of the Jal Jeevan Mission Urban. The Jal Jeevan mission aims to establish a universal water supply in 4,378 local bodies and 2.86 crore water tap connections in households. The Centre has allocated Rs 2.87 lakh crore to the Mission.
Image Credit: Google