New Delhi, Nov 9: The five-day celebrations of Diwali, which starts with Dhanteras, finally ends with Bhaiya Dooj. This is a festival where sisters put 'kesar-tilak' on the forehead of their brothers, wishing them good luck, prosperity, and happiness. It is called by different names in different parts of the country. Bhai Dooj or Bhau-Beej or Bhai Tika or Bhai Phonta is a festival celebrated by Hindus of India and Nepal on the second lunar day of Shukla Paksha in the Vikram Samvat Hindu calendar month of Kartika.
The legend goes that Surya's children Yam and Yamuna were very close to each other and Yam had gifted plentiful gifts when Yamuna put Tilak on her brother's forehead.
Don't miss doing these 5 things for your brother today:
1. Before putting Tilak on your brother's forehead, first, pay your obeisance to Lord Vishnu and Ganesha. The month of Kartik belongs to Vishnu and all pujas are performed first by worshipping him. Ganesha, because all good things start with his name.
2. The tilak should be of Kesar as it has a great relevance and considered auspicious. Kesar is considered a pious herb and has a cooling effect on the forehead.
3. Don't forget to do your brother's aarti on this day. Legend has it that it wards off your brother from all the evil.
4. Make your brother sit in the boundary that you make from rice paste. He must sit inside that circle when you apply him a tilak. The boundary is said to be the boundary of faith and security built by sister to protect her brother from all evils.
5. Feed the first morsel from your own hands to your brother.
Picture source: Internet