For centuries, poets and artists have paid tribute to the Indian woman’s beauty. From the eyes, to the hair, to the feet, there isn't a part of the Indian woman’s anatomy that has been left unpraised; while the poets sang verses of praise, the artists painted and sculpted the Indian woman in all her glory. But the rest of the world seemed oblivious to this phenomenon, that is, until Indian women started gaining attention at an International level.
With Manushi Chillar becoming the sixth woman to win the coveted Miss World Crown, let's take a look at her predecessors that started it all for her:
* Reita Faria: Miss World 1966. She started it all when she won it in 1966, however, unlike her successors that have all tried their hands at acting, Reita Faria opted to practice medicine. She has been a judge at many subsequent beauty pageants. She married fellow-doctor David Powell and have two children and five grandchildren.
* Aishwarya Rai Bachchan: Miss World 1994. At that time, Aishwarya was a twenty one year-old architecture student. Of course winning the pageant changed the course of her future and she went on to become one of Bollywood’s most successful actors, the Bahu of Bollywood's first family, and the mother of Bollywood's Beti, Aaradhya Bachchan.
* Diana Hayden: Miss World 1997. Following Reita Faria and Aishwarya Rai, Diana Hayden was the third Indian to be crowned ‘Miss World’. She tried her luck in Bollywood but wasn't very successful. She and her husband (Colin) welcomed their first daughter, Arya, earlier this year.
* Yukta Mookhey: Miss World 1999. The twenty-two year old, leggy lass charmed her way to winning the crown. Following in the footsteps of the earlier pageant winners, she entered Bollywood. Her stint as an actress for short-lived, with all her movies doing ok at the box office. She married Prince Tuli of Nagpur and gave birth to a son named Ahhreyn Tuli in 2010.
* Priyanka Chopra: Miss World 2000. Just as her predecessors, her entry into Bollywood was a bit lukewarm at first with some of her movies doing ok, but then with hard work and determination, Priyanka Chopra has become one of most successful actresses in Indian cinema and gained international acclaim with her hit Television Series Quantico and a hit music album.