Akbar threatens legal action against MeToo complainants, says allegations part of hidden agenda before elections

New Delhi, Oct 14: Union minister M J Akbar after returning to India has threatened legal action against the MeToo complainants. In a statement he said his lawyer will look into the wild and baseless allegations to decide on the future course of action. He also said that it seems to a hidden agenda as the allegations have come before the general elections.  

Story so far

Akbar is facing allegations of sexual harassment by a number of women journalists, and was expected  to step down soon, according to sources. Mounting pressure on PM Narendra Modi, the Congress on Sunday questioned PM's silence on MeToo campaign against Akbar. Meanwhile, Akbar returned to Delhi on Sunday from a foreign tour.Replying to a volley of questions from reporters at the airport, the minister of state for external affairs said he would issue a statement later."There will be a statement later," he said.

Multiple women in the last few days have offered their accounts of alleged sexual harassment by Akbar when he was a journalist as the #MeToo movement swept social media, bringing to fore sordid tales of sexual harassment by influential men in different walks of lives.There was an indication by the BJP that it is likely to take a clear stand on allegations of sexual harassment against Akbar once he explains his position upon his return.

While the Bharatiya Janata Party has maintained a studied silence on the matter so far, party sources have said the charges against him are serious, and his continuance as a minister is no longer guaranteed.A final call will be taken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the sources said.

News24 Bureau/ PTI