New Delhi, News24 Bureau, June 25: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will be meeting EAM S Jaishankar and also PM Modi and in the present circumstances, when all is not well between the two countries, this meeting holds a strategic significance.
Mike Pompeo will arrive in Delhi tonight. He is scheduled to meet External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar and Prime Minister Narendra Modi tomorrow. EAM S Jaishankar will also host a lunch for Mike Pompeo. He is coming to India on a three-day visit.
Pompeo will arrive in New Delhi on Tuesday for talks that are aimed at laying the ground for an upcoming meeting between President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Modi later in the week at a G20 meeting in Osaka, Japan.
Expect these 5 things to be discussed in this trip:
1. Mike Pompeo will attempt to soothe increasing friction with New Delhi over trade, data flow, arms from Russia and Iran oil imports and focus on strategic ties between the two big world democracies.
2. He will also engage in talks with Jaishankar specifically about expanding security, energy, and space cooperation, among other things. The Secretary is further scheduled to meet Indian business leaders to discuss a vision for the economic dimension of the US-India partnership. He is also planning to address a gathering in New Delhi.
3. India is currently engaged in disputes with the United States over tariffs, hence trade is obviously going to be a major topic of discussion in his meetings.
4. Another issue that has alarmed India is the possibility of the US restrictions on work visas for Indian professionals in retaliation for New Delhi's insistence on local data storage by big foreign firms, to which the official assured that Washington has no such plans.
5. In addition, new tensions have spiked over New Delhi's plans to buy S-400 surface-to-air missile systems from Moscow, a move that can trigger Washington to impose sanctions under its Countering American Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), further prohibiting any engagement with Russia's defence sector.
A major discussion on Iran sanctions is expected to top the table during the visit, along with India's concerns on energy security. US and India are gearing up for the first ever tri-service military exercise with India in the Bay of Bengal later this year to increase the force interoperability followed by another 2+2 dialogue.
With Agencies, Pic Google