New Delhi: Veteran actor Vinod Khanna is no more, but he will always remain in the memories and heart of his die-hard fans. The superstar with his dimpled chin was a heart-throb and had a huge female fan-following. This charismatic had broken many hearts when in the late 80s he had joined Osho Rajneesh’s commune.
He had disappeared from the silver screen and public life only to reappear a couple of years after in saffron robes. Was this the end of his glamorous career? Female fans had a sinking feeling which was short-lived as he then did some memorable roles. Here are some unknown facts about the superstar:
1. Despite being a part of the showbiz he was always a very private man at heart. He had leaning towards religion and philosophy.
2. He had divorced his wife Gitanjali to marry for second time with Kavita. His religious leanings had become the immediate cause of divorce with his first wife.
3. At the peak of his career he renounced everything to be at Osho Rajneesh’s aashram. There he was doing gardening
4. He came from a reasonably rich family in Punjab. His father dealt in textiles.
5. His first role was that of a villain Mann ka Meet-1969, but so impressive were his personality and acting that he was offered many good roles after that.
6. Raj Khosla was his favourite director with whom he worked in Mera Gaon Mera Desh(1971), Kuchhe Dhaage (1973), Prem Kahani (1975), Nehle Pe Dehla(1976) and Main Tulsi Tere Angaan Ki (1978).
7. In Mera Gaon Mera Desh he was actually ready to bleed when Dharmendra hits him with a belt, to bring real touch to the film.
8. He made a hit pair with Amitabh Bachchan. They acted together in many films like Parvarish, Amar Akbar Anthony, Khoon Pasina, Mukadder Ka Sikandar, Ek Aur Ek Gyarah and Hera Pheri to name a few.
9. He was the second highest paid actor between 1987 and 1994.
10.He was the original star to start the six-pack trend. He had once confessed that the stars of today flaunt body and show their six-packs adding that they also had the same but it was not a trend to show back then.