Here are the 10 important things you wanted to know about Karva Chauth which is celebrated with equal enthusiasm and excitement by women as a token of love and respect for their husbands
New Delhi, Oct 16: Here are the 10 important things you wanted to know about Karva Chauth which is celebrated with equal enthusiasm and excitement by women as a token of love and respect for their husbands.
1. Karwa Chauth is one of the most popular festivals specially for married women. Though the festival is much popular in Northern and Western Indian states like Punjab, U.P., Delhi, Haryana, Gujarat, etc. But now the festival is known across the country for its pious rituals and reason.
2. This festival, which now knows no boundary as it is popular the world-over now falls on the Kartik ki Chauth which means the fourth day of the waning moon or dark fortnight of Hindu month of Kartik.
3. Generally, according to the English calendar, the month corresponds to October or November. The festival comes about nine days before the festival of Diwali.
For a newlywed couple, the festival is celebrated with immense pomp and enthusiasm.
4. The important aspect of Karwa Chauth is that a dawn to dusk fast is undertaken by the ladies and they finally break the fast after seeing the moon. The fast is unique in itself because nowhere in this whole world does a wife go without food or water just to pray for the long-life and well-being of her husband.
5. On this auspicious occasion, the two most popular gifts that are certain to be gifted to the ladies who observes the fast are 'Sargi' and 'Baya'. Sargi is basically the gift of scrumptious meals, sweets, and clothes presented to the woman on the occasion of the Karva Chauth day.
6. Baya also includes very similar things. On the first Karwa Chauth of a woman, the Sagi and Baya are extravagant and royal. Even on the Karwa Chauth in life, later on, the gifts are always precious.
7. All Hindu fasts have deep spiritual and religious significance. It becomes imperative to be accurate in the Puja Process of the traditional rituals and that includes Karwachauth.
8. Karwa Chauth Food Items
a. Sargi, which includes pheni (a sweet made by using milk and semolina), parantha, and various types of fruits and sweets
b. Ten matthis (salty snack) with an equal number of puas (a sweet made of jaggery)
c. Delicious halwa
9. Karwa Chauth Beauty Essential Items
a.Henna Mehndi for applying on palms and feet.
b.Fashionable and multicolored glass bangles.
c. Makeup items like bindi, kumkum or sindoor, lipstick, rouge, kajal, eye-liner, mascara, and so.
d. Beautiful and traditional jewelry items like mangalsutra, maangtika, rings, necklace, bangles, ear-rings, anklets, toe-rings, nose-ring, etc.
10. Karwa Chauth Cloth Items
1.Baya or Bayana that includes gifts for the mother-in-law, which is ideally a sari.
2. A set of new clothes, which is usually a bridal-sari (suhag joda) for the lady performing the vrat.
Karwa Chauth Puja Items
1. A stable platform for performing the puja
2. Cow-dung to make the image of the goddess Gora or Parwati
3. Karwa Chauth story book
4. Matthi for bhog
5.Sindur or kumkum
6. A strand of red thread (called kalawa)
7.Karwa (a clay vessel containing water)
8. A plate for keeping puja samagri
9. Money for chadawa