Kolkata: On the ocassion of Astami, movements of all types of goods vehicles will be prohibited to ply within the city of Kolkata from 8 AM to 4 in the afternoon. The decision has been taken in the interest of public safety and convenience
However, Emergency vehicles like – Vehicles carrying LPG Cylinders only, Petroleum, Oil, Lubricants, Oxygen, Milk, Vegetable, Fish etc are exempted from the restrictions. In an official notification, the Kolkata Police informed that light goods vehicles will be additionally allowed from 12 PM to 3 PM during the restriction period.
Goods vehicles having gross vehicle weight not exceeding 1600 kg (Ex. TATA ACE, Mahindra Zeeto, Suzuki Super Carry, etc.) will also be aallowed to run on road up to 3 PM on all days from October 17 – October 23.
Dashami or Durga Puja Immersion day is falling on October 24. In view of which, there will be traffic restriction from 03 PM today to 04 AM till tomorow morning.
- Roads around puja pandals will be closed or controlled for traffic, except for local property vehicles.
- Kolkata Traffic Police may adjust vehicular and pedestrian traffic when needed.
- Nighttime police patrols will regulate unruly and unlawful activities.
- Police kiosks will be set up at various locations to assist the public in distress.
- Signboards and maps will be provided near puja pandals to guide visitors to their destinations.
- Additional CCTV cameras will enhance surveillance.
- Improved lighting will be recommended at the entrance and exit points of major pandals by the police.
- Extra police personnel and volunteers will be deployed on the streets.
- Strict actions and penalties will be imposed on those who violate traffic rules.
- No leniency will be granted for offenses like reckless driving, drinking and driving, and not using seat belts or helmets.
Streets That Will Be Closed From 3 PM on Monday To 4 AM on Tuesday
Major roads like Gopi Mohan Dutta Lane, Yogi Para Lane, Ram Mohan Roy Road among others in North Kolkata will remain closed. Meanwhile, Akrur Dutta Lane, Sambhu Chatterjee Street will be restricted in Central Kolkata; Kalighat Road, Lake Place will be limited in North Kolkata.
The official notice stated that “vehicular traffic may also be diverted from any of the arterial and feeder roads by traffic police on duty as and when considered necessary in the interest of the public.”