New Delhi, Sept 24: Ramleela is the most awaited event of the entire year when most of the people throng the shows taking place in various famous parks, club houses or nook and corners all across India. Ramleela comes 20 days before Diwali. Dusshera is celebrtated with lot of fervour and excitement all across the nation. However, the Ramleela celebrated in Delhi is highly popular and watching the show when winter also arrives has its own excitement. You can enjoy hot peanuts, popcorn, tea in the cold breeze sweeping Delhi and watch the highly popular Ramleela shows.
Delhi’s celebration of this festival is incomplete without Ramleela performances. Starting a few days before Dussehra and ending on Vijayadashami, the performances in Delhi are a must watch.
With performances happening all over the city, it’s almost impossible to miss out on a show or two. However, here are the five performances that you absolutely must watch.
1) Ramleela Maidan: This place is highly popular. All crucial events take place here in the Ramlila Maidan, be it Baba Ramdev’s protest, Anna Hazare’s anti corruption movement, or staging the annual Ramleela. It is also one of the oldest venues in the city where Ramleela or Ravana Dahan takes place at such a grand level. Thousands of people throng the ground hours before the final show to take the best seats nearest to the stage. It gets all goosebumpy when the crowd cheers in unison ‘Jai Shri Ram’ after the statue burning ceremony. Later, the show performers parade in the ground and greet the spectators. This is such a thrilling experience that you will remember for your lifetime.
2) Ramleela at Red Fort Lawns: The Ramleela taking place at the Red Fort Lawns is full of energy, mesmirizing and will remind you of your childhood. The fair which is organised here has food stalls serving cuisines from different states. You can also enjoy swings and slides and a little amusement park for kids. You can also indulge in some shopping as there are vibrant shops selling bangles, clothes and a lot of other stuffs. The Ramleela organised here has more modern approach, and the organisers use latest technologies to attract the young spectators. Remember, it’s going to be extremely crowded, all you need to be is a little cautious. But then, it’s going to be an amazing experience!
3) Ramleela at Subhash Maidan (Parade Ground): Subhash Maidan or Parade Ground organises Ramleela every year and is conducted by Shri Dharmik Lila Committee, which is amongst the oldest associations of Delhi. Here, if you get lucky, you might also catch a glimpse of eminent personalities who come here to be a part of the event. Another big pull here is the variety of mouth-watering street food served at the various stalls. So you can enjoy Ramleela here along with the mouth-watering snacks served at various stalls.
4) Ramleela at Lal Qila Maidan (Red Fort Ground): The Ramlila is organised at Lal Qila Maidan by the Luv Kush Ram Lila Committee, and is one of the most popular ones. If you are keen to meet the famous Bollywood or television celebrities, come and experience the festivities at Lal Qila Maidan, popularly known as the Red Fort Ground. The programme starts at 7 PM in the evening, and is followed by myriad cultural events.
5) Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra theatre lawns: This cultural institute is highly popular for its presentation of Ramlila. Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra highlights scenes from the epic Ramayana, and expert artists perform the story in a musical and dramatic form. The entire performance is a beautiful blend of folk and classical music, dance and acting, which looks enthralling. The institute has been organising the event since 1957 and of late, the society has also started translating the programme in English language on big projector screens so that people visiting from other countries can also understand and enjoy the show. You need to buy tickets to watch the highly popular Ramleela.
News24 Bureau/ with inputs from agencies