These facts about Maha Shivratri will bring you closer to Lord Shiva
| Feb. 13, 2018, 9:42 a.m.
New Delhi, Feb 13: The entire world has either started celebrating Maha Shivratri or are preparing to do so. We discuss som inteesting aspects about this festival which will enlighten you. Shivratri or the great night of Shiva heralds the onset of spring. This day is one of the most revered one for the devotees and those who want to get nearer to the Lord through meditation. Here are Five facts about this day.
1. This year though Shivratri starts in the evening of 13th February, it extends to 14th February.
2. Devotees celebrate this festival by various ways: some meditate and do Yoga while others chant mantras and observe fast. There are many legends around this festival, celebrated with great devotion by Hindus all across th world.
3. One legend goes that his day Lord Shiva drank all poison and savd the world. Therefore, he is called Neelkantha. o protect the world.
4. Another legend says that it is the night when Shiva performs the heavenly dance of creation, preservation and destruction.
5. Yet another belief goes that this is the night when Shiva and Parvati got married.