India has been a victim of major terror attacks and many deadly terrorist attacks took place in India in the last 70 years. Recently, USA made a statement that India has been among the top 5 countries which faced terror attacks in the year 2016. That is only the year 2016. But before it, India faced major attacks that shook the nation and the entire world.
It has been discovered on numerous ocassions that the most implicated terrorism in India is sponsored by Pakistan through its ISI. Even US has also accused Pakistan in 2012 for harboring terrorists to attack India but later on Pakistan has denied its involvement.
Here we provide a list of top 5 major terror attacks that took place in India:
1) Mumbai Terror Attack – 26/11: It was a series of terror attacks that took place in the year 2008. Around 10 member of Lashkar-e-Taiba, an Islamic Militant organization from Pakistan started bombings, shootings innocent people. It lasted for 4 days. These attacks occurred at eight places. After investigation it was discovered that the attackers had entered India via sea route from Karachi, Pakistan across the Arabian Sea. They then hijacked Indian Fisher's boat, killed the other four occupants and ordered him to sail towards Mumbai.
These were 10 young attackers, out of which 9 were shot dead by the Indian officers and one attacker got arrested. His name was Ajmal Kasab. Later in 2012, he was hanged in Yerwada Jail. All these attackers were basically from Pakistan. Names of rest of the attackers were Abdul Rehman Bada, Abdul Rahman Chhota, Abu Ali, Fahad Ullah, Ismail Khan, Babar Imran, Abu Umar, Abu Sohrab, and Shoaib alias Soheb.
We lost 166 person in this incident and 293 people were badly injured. The figure included both Indian and Foreigners.
2) Bombay Serial Bomb Blast – 12th March 1993: It was also a serial bomb blast in Bombay. A total of 13 serial blasts took place in Bombay and affected many. India witnessed such type of blasts for the first time where we lost a number of lives. According to investigations, the attack was planned by Dawood Ibrahim. He was known as the Under World DON. He was not only responsible but two of his men also involved in it. Tiger Memon and Yakub Memon also contributed a lot to carry out the attacks.
They have attacked at these places – Fisherman’s Colony in Mahim causeway, Zaveri Bazaar, Plaza Cinema, Century Bazaar, Katha Bazaar, Hotel Sea Rock, Sahar Airport, Air India Building, Hotel Juhu Centaur, Worli, Bombay Stock Exchange Building, Passport Office.
257 innocent people died in this attack and 713 were injured.
3) Akshardham Temple Attack in Ahmadabad – 24th Sept 2002: Again a radical group which belonged to Lashkar-e-Taiba attacked India once again. This time two terrorist Murtuza Hafiz Yasin and Ashraf Ali Mohammed Farooq entered the famous Akshardham temple at around 3 PM. They all were loaded with weapons and hand grenades. They started firing indiscriminately at innocent people and shooting ended with many casualties. They didn’t care anything and faired at women, children, old people.
NSG commandos did a great job and gunned down both the terrorist at night. After detailed investigations, it was found out that the terrorist wanted to take revenge of 2002 Gujarat riots.
31 citizens died and 80 people were injured in this gruesome terror attack.
4) Delhi Serial Bomb Blast- 29 October 2005: Just two days before Diwali, a series of 3 bomb blast took place in the hear of India's capital. This was a serial blast conducted by Pakistan based Terrorist organization Islamic Revolutionary Front. Two bombs were exploded in main market of city – Sarojini Nagar and Paharganj. Third blast took place in a bus in govindpuri.
The Govindpuri attack’s causalities were minimized because of passengers and conductor’s awareness who identified suspicious bag and started rescuing people from bus. The attack in both market were more deadly as it was Dhanteras and many people were out for shopping.
Nearly 63 people died and 210 person were injured in this attack.
5) Bombay Train Blast- 11 July 2006: A series of 7 bomb blast took place in Mumbai local train on 11 Juy 2006. This was biggest terrorist attack after 1993 blast in Mumbai. All bombs were planted in first class coach of local trains inside a pressure cooker. After series of investigation it was found that Indian Mujahideen, a banned terrorist organization was responsible for these attacks.
The bombs were exploded at or in the near vicinity of the suburban railway stations of Matunga Road, Mahim, Bandra, Khar Road, Jogeshwari, Bhayandar and Borivali.
210 people died and around 715 were injured in these bomb blasts.