10 Points: Sushma Swaraj slams Congress for 'Playing politics on death'
| March 20, 2018, 4:39 p.m.
New Delhi, March 20: An important aanouncemnt was made in the Parliament today. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj informed that 39 Indians who were kinapped in Irq's Mousil were dead and that their bodies were exhumed. "Deep penetration radar confirmed that all Indians were dead after all bodies were exhumed," she said.
There was an outpour of emotions; while some said that the minster shoul have isclosed this earlier, many relatives of the deceased sai that they don't believe this shocking news.
After making the statement in the House, swaraj said that Congress was disrupting the proceedings andd was not letting her announce the news to the world about this sad demise of 39 Indians. She then spoke through a press conference. This is what she had to say:
1. In Rajya Sabha everyone listened to me speaking very patiently and in peace. Everyone paid tribute, I thought same would happen in Lok Sabha. But unlike the past few days of ruckus, today Congress led the protests under Jyotiraditya Scindia ji. Very unfortunate.
2. Today Congress indulged in very low level of politics, probably Congress president thought how did no uproar happened in Rajya Sabha and decided to ask Scindia ji to lead protests in Lok Sabha. Playing politics on deaths.
3. I personally talked to the foreign ministers of the respective countries, I went to them and asked them if they have any evidence they provide us the same. 'Khoye huye ho to maare huye samjhe jaaoge' ye sarkar aisi nahi hai.
4. Some kin of the victims have questioned as to why they were not told about the deaths before the parliament. It is parliamentary procedure to first inform the house, so it was my duty.
5. It would have been a sin had we handed over anybody's body claiming it to be those of our people, just for the sake of closing files. DNA samples of 38 people have been matched, verification of 1 victim is under process.
6. We had been saying that we neither have the evidence of them being alive nor the evidence of them being dead. We maintained this in 2014 and 2017. We did not keep anyone in dark. We gave no false hopes to anyone.
7. Out of the deceased, 27 people were from Punjab, 6 from Bihar, 4 from Himachal Pradesh and 2 from West Bengal. The identity of one of them is yet to be verified.
8. I am satisfied that I had stated that will declare them dead only on the day I have concrete evidence, I kept my word. I will get my closure when I would hand over the mortal remains to their families & they receive proper last rites: EAM Sushma Swaraj.
9. Harjit Masih is just an individual, he could claim 39 others are dead, but we are the Government, we can't say this so easily. We have to be responsible. It is baseless that Harjit Masih was harassed, he was kept in protective custody. I had said this in Parliament earlier.
10. When they were killed is not known, could be six months back or two years back, in any case search for bodies would have begun only after the liberation of Mosul